Our History

Te Kapu Apiaries was started in 1950 by Peter Pegram. He saw the opportunity Wairoa and the Frasertown village had to offer and launched his business from 19 Russell Parade, Frasertown. He and his wife Kathleen (Snow) Pegram worked together to establish the apiary, building hive numbers up to 1200. 

Early days in the bee industry saw the Pegram’s processing honey from a neighbouring barn until the 1960’s when they moved the old Tinoroto School building to Russell Parade and with extensive additions and the renovations this became the fist Te Kapu Honey House. Peter and Snow raised a family of four children with son Keith continuing the beekeeping legacy.

Keith started working for his father in 1979 and by 1981 they were running 1500 hives.

Keith and his wife Jo have continued to expand Te Kapu Apiaries. In 2013 a new purpose-built honey house was constructed and a upgraded extraction plant was installed.